Thursday, April 16, 2009

Musical Support...

What's going on people?

I know it's been a while since I have posted, but life has taken me in many different directions. Believe me when I say that my future is looking bright!! I've enjoyed more time with my family, I have been in the studio a little bit doing some session vocals, and I have been blessed to purchase a car that I LOVE. God is so awesome.

Okay, so, I wanted to talk about something today. As I was sitting in the Comfort Suites hotel (my mother and youngest brother have come down to visit), I had a good conversation with the front desk attendant. He happens to have a gospel group in the Jacksonville area, and we spoke about things and the music life here.

What dawned on me and what I told him was that it is really good to hear local groups actually support each other. He had gone to a concert for another gospel artist, and he had taken his group to show support. Now, I thought that was pretty admirable, because a lot of times you will have groups trying to outsing each other and outdo each other. It's good when groups can come together and enjoy a service together without someone oversinging or trying to show off how they may be better than the other.

I've noticed, in my long years of life, lol, that a lot of people and groups in the music industry (in each genre) will try to outdo the next artist. I've seen it in a music showcase and I've seen it at the Stellar Awards; I've seen it at the GMWA Convention and I have seen it at the Grammys. Everyone seems to be interested in seeing who can sing better than who, who can harmonize better, who can riff or run better, who has clearer runs, who can outgrowl you, and who shouldn't ever be singing at all to begin with. I think it's such a shame, when the focus should either be on the ministry or on the music (depending on which genre). That's why I was VERY glad to hear that an artist had no problems supporting the works of another.

I hope that when I get deeper into the music industry (if I ever choose to do so), people will actually notice that it's not about the melismas and the tightest beat...it SHOULD be all about supporting one another's craft. I'll pray on it...

No comments: